July 10, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean and Agent Angst

Picked up #17 in Master and Commander series I've been reading the past couple of years. Highly recommend it. Saw POTC-Dead's Man Chest- this weekend in a jam packed theater at an early afternoon showing. The beginning of the movie made me panic when I thought they were using the same plot as my manuscript (pardons/privateering in the West Indies). That's what you want to look like-a great big copycat. Fortunately, the entire storyline turned into some never ending Scooby Doo episode. Sucks they didn't wrap it up so it could stand on its own two feet like the Potter movies do. They turned on the house lights during the previews so a bunch of folks could walk in LATE and take up one of the best rows that had been roped off. I thought there was going to be a mutiny and probably would have joined it. So much for opening weekends. The first weekend showing of the last Pirates film next year will be a bloodbath. Mark my words.

I'm going to wait until late August and early September to send out the third batch of queries to literary agents. Why does it have to take so long to slip a nice form letter into an envelope and mail somebody a rejection? Ain't like they have to stamp it. I know everyone likes to joke about being a slave to their mailbox but I'm becoming phobic. I'm really hoping the mometum of these Pirate films will raise more interest in Caribbean fiction. If I don't hear something by the end of the year I am going to have to rethink the whole writing career thing. One good thing--I don't miss freelancing. If I had to eat off of my fiction though, I'd be on food stamps.

No comments: