January 16, 2009

Baby, It’s Cold Outside!

It may not be Christmastime but the weather sure is frightful. Us Southerners aren’t used to these below thirty degree temperatures, not that we don’t wish for them on occasion (I do love a snowy afternoon and plate of homemade cookies).

Writing habits can fluctuate with the holidays and crazy weather trends. Because of this week’s big chill, I am back to hot cocoa on the desk and the fuzzy slippers that usually make my feet sweat. Then there’s the lap blanket, space heater--things warm climate writers just don’t see often. It kind of makes it exciting.

My advice for staying warm at the keyboard is to keep those fingers tapping away. Write about some place hot. Buy an “Island” theme calendar and post those exotic locations nearby. I won’t go as far as to suggest playing any Beach Boys, because I need white noise when I write, but if it works for you then by all means.

So if the weather is getting you down, think positive. Turn on the lights, bundle up, and enjoy the world at the mercy of Mother Nature. Just because she is slowing down, don’t let it stop you from taking advantage of some prime writing time.

No comments: