July 25, 2013

Coupons and Calories

Is the coupon craze over? I don't think so, and why should it be when there are easy options to help us make our money go further. Over the past couple years, I've posted a few coupon articles because saving money is exciting, and everyone can use a little extra help now and then. At the peak of my couponing career, I spent between $60 and $75 a week on groceries with half of it going into food storage. Fun times. Which is exactly what I had at the moment, time. Yes, couponing takes commitment and time, but it's well worth it if your budget is tight.

As I slowly try to wean my family away from sugar and processed foods (Don't ask me how that's going...), it's been a tough year using coupons to save money. One of my children put on some unhealthy weight. I had to work out like a fiend to control mine. The truth is, the majority of food coupons are for processed food and snacks which are nothing but calories and fat. It's hard to find offers for fresh produce and fresh lean meat. Because I am gluten and dairy intolerant, that makes picking and choosing products even more difficult! The only solution I have found is to avoid the great deals and spend a little more on healthy choices. Has it been worth it? I think so.
Two free boxes of cereal. Both came with high fructose corn syrup.

These days I still coupon for cereal and other groceries that offer healthy choices. I save lots of money couponing on personal hygiene products. My focus, though, is on healthy eating, so if I have to buy fruits and vegetables and pay full price, so be it. That also includes fresh meat, beans and lots of yogurt.

Our bodies are great temporal and spiritual gifts that we are responsible for. As I get older, I realize the importance of taking care of this old machine. Yoga and spin class keep me mobile, but diet is one major factor that will determine how long I live and how I resist disease. So for now, I'm satisfied my grocery bill has wandered back up to around $125 a week. It may be a little higher, but we're eating less calories and feeling great.

My advice? Never pass up a coupon for a product you need, but skip the junk food! Free isn't worth the fat!

Stay Balanced!

~Danielle Thorne

Want to learn more about couponing? 

Read my Couponing 101 article here.

Check out my interview with coupon guru, Rudy R., from Fun2BFrugal.com here!


No comments: