January 16, 2015

A Dream is a Wish Your Work Makes

Never once did I ever hear my parents say, "That's impossible." I have five other siblings: One is a nurse, one markets and sells products in a billion dollar medical industry, one served two years in the Middle East, one manages a landscaping company and speaks two languages, and the last is almost two decades into a food service career and still pursuing Indie music. Interestingly, the one thing all of us have in common is that we are doing the things we want to do, and for most of us, they are things we started dreaming about when we were young. Fortunately, we weren't just encouraged to dream, we were taught to work -- and work hard. 

At today's rapid pace, people seem to think all they need is a dream and some good luck. I find it disturbing so many are eschewing college because "you don't need a degree" to make it. Now, I know higher education isn't for everyone, but to those who have no desire to go to college, You. Need. A. Plan.  If you can attend a technical school and get a certificate or degree in two years, great! If you want to dive in to entrepreneurship, go for it! As an author, I'm all for pursuing the Arts, but I am aware that families need mothers and fathers with a roof over their head and food on the table. Until I earn a living wage writing, I have a wonderful, dependable resource in the man I married (and he has a devoted homemaker). I'm also going back to school to get a second degree. Did you notice nowhere in this paragraph I suggested making a YouTube video in hopes it goes viral?

It seems everywhere we look someone is getting something for nothing or catching a big break, but don't be fooled. I tried to research some statistics, like the chances of being the next Bill Gates, but all I could find were websites criticizing statistics that kill people's dreams. Well, color me black and white. There's no Technicolor here. Dreams are necessary to motivate us to live our lives, set goals, and find satisfaction and success, but they don't come free or easy. In a world where responsibility and accountability are becoming secondary to personal desire, we need to support organizations and leaders who stand on a foundation of high expectations and hard work. We need to support ourselves.

Disney's Cinderella (1950) once sang, "A dream is a wish your heart makes." It's a start. The important thing to remember as you set goals and dream about your next achievement, is a dream is a wish your work makes. So quit complaining about your childhood, your age, your bad luck and your health. Get to work. A dream is a wish your work makes come true. There is only one Bill Gates.


No comments: