January 31, 2015

Favs: Sparkling Water, Oatmeal and Smoothies

It's time for a Favorites post again! 

For those of you who are new followers, that means it's time for me to fill you in on recent discoveries that have made my life happier, healthier or more balanced. These shares are products or ideas I've stumbled upon in my own day-to-day living and are not sponsored in any way. It's just me, bumbling through life, finding things I really love and appreciate.

My favorite flavor. There's 3!
Izze
First up is my favorite sparkling water. And I don't like sparkling water! I've been drinking Izze for about a year. The back story is I gave up soda over 10 years ago because of tummy troubles. It was a worthwhile sacrifice since it's well documented soda is bad on the teeth and waistline. One afternoon in a deli, I spotted one of their cool, glass bottles and decided to give sparkling water another try. It's awesome! I cannot tell the difference between Izze and soda. The very best part is there is no added sugar and no artificial sugar. Nothing. Zilch. It's sweet because of the fruit juice that ranges from blackberry to apple. Izze is a bit pricey for me, but I've  been purchasing it more often as I find it on sale at Kroger. It's not cost effective to drink it all the time although it's much lower in calories than soda, but if you've given up soda pop and you're craving a fix, Izze is the way to go.

Chex Gluten Free Oatmeal 
No, it does not taste like Chex cereal. Chex Gluten Free Oatmeal is just regular quick cooking oatmeal that has not come into contact with any gluten (wheat) during manufacturing. It's certified gluten free for people with gluten intolerance or Celiacs disease. My local Publix had it on sale this past month for B1G1, so I stocked up. I'd already tried it with a coupon and found the Maple Brown Sugar is to die for--as far as oatmeal goes. I would eat this oatmeal even if I wasn't gluten sensitive. It's that good. If you're into oatmeal, you'll want to try this yummy brand. 


Smoothie Fix
Down the Hatch: Oatmeal and a Smoothie
Yes, I am still the reigning smoothie queen in my house. It's been over a year, and my love and appreciation for a healthy smoothie have not waned. This past month I've had a large bag of frozen cherries to use up, along with some frozen blackberries I bought on sale. I always have pineapple and apple on standby, and frozen greens take care of my veggies for the day. Here is this month's smoothie that's been on the breakfast menu alongside my oatmeal:


Cherry Blackberry Smoothie

2/3 cups of water, divided
1 slice of pineapple
3 slices of red apple 
1/2 cup of frozen blackberries
1/2 cup of frozen cherries
1 small handful of spinach or greens
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 small handful of ice
Optional: 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt 
Optional: One pitted date or tablespoon of honey

Directions: Combine 1/3 cup of water and all ingredients in a blender and process on the smoothie cycle until smoothie is whipped and smooth. Add another 1/3 cup of water halfway through the cycle to help defrost and smooth the beverage.


Stay balanced,
~Danielle Thorne
www.daniellethorne.com



No comments: