August 3, 2015

The Throes of Summer: Berry Chicken Salad


Summertime Fun

Whoop! July meant a well earned break for this college mid-lifer!



My online classes run 3 semesters per year which means I don't really have time off between January and July. There's 6 weeks until my next classes begin again so I've enjoyed time at the beach, visiting friends, working on my next book, and cleaning my house--before they put me on an episode of Hoarders.



A Berry Chicken Salad

If you follow my blog you know I'm a blueberry fiend, and when my blueberry patch comes in around mid-June I'm happily picking and eating my little friends by the bucket. This year I was able to eat through the season and still save about 3 extra quarts. This past month I was craving my favorite chicken salad recipe with apples and grapes, but since apples were out of season I decided to try something different. This berry chicken salad is delicious in a wrap or as a sandwich. However you adapt it, make sure to leave out the celery commonly found in most recipes, and add a variety of berries to your heart's content. This is a yummy one!
 



Berry Chicken Salad

1 1/2 cups of cooked, cubed chicken
3/4 cup of mayo or plain yogurt
2 tablespoons of finely diced onion
1/2 cup of walnuts
1/2 cup of blueberries
1/4 cup of dried cranberries
Pinch of salt

Mix well. Chill. 

 
Book Adventures

This summer seems to be all about Harper Lee's The Watchman, and it's definitely on my TBR list. Along with that I have managed to work in reading Ursula LeGuin's collection of short stories, Earthsea, and pick up the enjoyable clean romance, Submerged by Dani Pettrey. I'm also totally enjoying the historical mini-series, Poldark on PBS (A must watch!). We even sat down one weekend and watched Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities

What are you reading this summer?



Great mini-series! A must watch for historical romance lovers!



I hope you've had a lovely summer break and enjoy the new month ahead with school and Autumn whispers around the corner.

Stay balanced~
Danielle Thorne 
www.daniellethorne.com


No comments: