April 24, 2017

Say It Like No One Else

This morning I happened across a meme on Instagram that quoted almost verbatim some writing insights from one of my recent blog posts. At first my brow furrowed, then after I finished arguing with myself about whether or not it was a coincidence, I realized how important it is that when we write we say it like no one else.

Whether it's a thank you note, love letter, or a 70K-word manuscript, writing that stands out and touches the heart, is writing that is sincere and original. This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Emma:

"If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." 

How beautiful is that? I hear that Jane Austen phrase often in my head when I don't want to talk about something. Except for me, it becomes:

If it hurt less, I could talk about it more.

Words are powerful things. Sometimes it's hard to say something as simple as, "I admire you and what you do," or "I love you." When it comes to writing, we can harness the power of a phrase or idea if we say it like no one else.

After all, sometimes words are easier to write down than to utter. Though I've learned recently, that doesn't mean someone won't borrow your turn of phrase and make it into a meme. #imitationisflattery

Stay Balanced,
~Danielle Thorne

No comments: