September 17, 2010

Crow’s Nest Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid














This week, check out my Crow's Nest review for my monthly newsletter, THE PRIVATEER NEWSLETTER. For monthly fun, sign up to receive this short and sweet and a little bit silly update about the writing world: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThePrivateerNewsletter/?yguid=197416267


Title: DIARY OF A WIMPY KID
Author: Jeff Kinney
Disclaimer: I received no compensation for reviewing this novel.

That's right, I said DIARY OF A WIMPY KID. Why? Because it's one of the most memorable books I've read this month. People everywhere are talking about the "cheese touch" so I had to see the movie and read the book to understand this cootious phenomenon. What I learned is that middle school is just as tough now as when I was a kid, if not worse.

Lucky for me, I have a reader in the house who has collected them all, so I only had to sneak into the bedroom of an elementary school-aged child to get a hold of this hot series. It's all about poor Greg Heffley who has to start middle school after not growing any all summer like some of the other kids who are already sprouting...(GASP!)...hair. His older brother, Roderick, warns him to keep his head down, but Greg is determined to be popular enough to make the yearbook. As life usually does, things don't go according to plan, and thanks to his cruel older brother and best friend, Rowley (who would rather be himself than be cool), middle school does not go so well.

Sketched illustrations gave the story a comic book edge, and Greg's sarcastic observations about his sneaky successes and dismal failures kept me in stitches. I haven't read a book this fun since I picked up the first HARRY POTTER novel so many years ago. It's a totally different genre, but like POTTER, it touches something universal—though not in a "cheese touch" kind of way. With or without little nippers, I recommend this series to anyone who wants to laugh until something squirts out their nose.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Powder Flasks

No comments: