July 6, 2006

Summer Progress

I just sent out my second round of queries to a pool of New York agents. The manuscript is finally done. I've never had a harder time completing a story than I did this one. When you spend so much time, months to years creating people and becoming a part of their lives it is difficult to put them to rest. Some people write their last chapters first. I don't, although I know how the story will end. In this instance I didn't know how the details would work out but I realized that I was going to have to let go of one of my main characters (who I wanted to serialize) and kill him off. There is a quote somewhere that if you don't cry when your writing your novel, at least at the end, it's missing something. I bawled like a broken hearted school girl. It would be a lot better though if I could get this on the market and have fans crying instead. I know it's the best work I've ever done. The literary agent hunting is new for me. It's overwhelming and easy to get discouraged. I'm not a salesman, I'm a storyteller. I guess it's time to learn a new profession.

Just FYI--Pirates of the Caribbean II comes out tomorrow. I've been waiting for this for three years. Almost as much fun as Harry.

Dream, Write, Believe--
d.t.

No comments: