January 1, 2010

Dreams, Goals, and Perspective

A new year is the time for thinking about everything we want to accomplish in our lives, if only for twelve months. What we often forget about during the holidays, is the precious short time some of us have to reach our goals.

A song from my childhood has always reminded me,

“Some dreams must wait, life isn’t long enough,
Some dreams must wait to come true.”

This isn’t meant to be a sad thing, but more of a reminder of our eternal perspective. We all have opportunities during our turns on Earth to make changes and to become--whatever it is we hope ourselves to be. The trick is, no one knows exactly how long they have. Maybe that’s why resolutions came into play, but I don’t care for the all-or-none expectation of the word, “resolution”. We are creatures of habit, and habits are hard to break.

Every year I set goals for myself. These goals are stair steps to my becoming. Some of them I meet, and some of them I don’t. The important thing is, I try. Of those goals that aren’t met each year, I at least am able to look back and see what I did learn and how much progress I made. We all need to pat ourselves on the back now and then. It’s what keeps us going.

Life is short. Life is unpredictable. We know not to make promises to people we can’t keep, so why make promises to ourselves that may not be possible?

I wish everyone a wonderful new year and the best of luck in continuing their journey of becoming. Set a reasonable goal in all of the important areas of your life and get to work. And if some dreams don’t come true, there’s always next year. And if not then, life will go on after we leave this sphere, and our dreams will be waiting.

Keep it balanced and in perspective!

3 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

A beautiful post, Danielle! Thanks for the encouragement. And best to you with your endeavors in this new year.

DanielleThorne said...

Thanks, Janna!

Anne Patrick said...

Great post, Danielle! I wish you the very best in accomplishing your goals this year and in the future.