August 15, 2011

Feta: The Big Cheese

…at least in my house. It's time for another post on Favorites. Why a Fav post on Feta? Because this is a blog about balancing life and eating cheddar every day of your life is B-O-R-I-N-G. Worse, if you're still choking down American cheese singles wrapped in plastic sleeves, it's time to stop. Live a little.

About a year or so ago, I had a marvelous Greek salad at one of our favorite pizza joints and realized I really liked this white crumbly stuff. Thus, my obsession with Feta began. 

Feta originated in Greece and was made from sheep and goat milk. Feta means "slice." It is higher in salt content than most cheeses because it is cured in a brine solution. Today it is made from pasteurized cow milk. 

Slowly, as Feta invaded all my salads, it crept into the omelets, too. Because it seems to absorb whatever deliciousness you toss it with, it works with just about anything. Try some on a Hawaiian pizza with ham and pineapple. Toss some with fresh spinach leaves and your favorite dried fruit and vinaigrette. 

Besides the processed cheese of our childhood, we can now get sliced anything for our sandwiches -- from Provolone to Gouda. Go for it. And check out my favorite recipe for Greek Salad below. 


Greek Salad

½ head of Iceberg lettuce; chopped
1 small head of Romaine lettuce; chopped
½ cucumber; diced
2 Roma tomatoes; diced
¼ cup of Greek Kalamata black olives; chopped
3 green onions; diced, or ¼ chopped red onion
½ cup of Feta cheese; crumbled
½ lemon; squeezed
Optional: Pickled banana pepper rings

Toss all ingredients. Squeeze lemon juice over salad. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix with a quality Greek dressing. Banana peppers can be served on the side.


3 comments:

Stephanie Black said...

Yum! I love feta cheese!

Anne Patrick said...

This really sounds yummy, thanks for sharing, Danielle! I confess, I've never tried feta cheese, but now I plan to.

DanielleThorne said...

Very welcome, Anne. And thank you and Stephanie for the comments!