January 23, 2014

A Glass is a Glass

For the majority of my life, I've been a glass half-empty type person. Although it can be said that there are benefits to low expectations and thinking long and hard before you leap, this type of attitude can lend itself to fear, hesitation, and negativity. While overall I think it's helped me to make smart decisions, having low expectations doesn't encourage a lot of enthusiasm or spontaneous choices. I've found that a healthy life is a balance between the two: sometimes our perspective of how much is in the glass needs to be determined by exactly what's in it.

I'm thankful to have a little more courage in my older adult life. I've let go of pain and
Conquering a fear: The Florida Keys (2012).
disappointment from the past. Also, I've learned to try new things, have hope, and handle miserable results with an eternal perspective. I have to remind myself often, "Will this matter tomorrow? A month from now? A year?" It seldom ever does.

Life is short. We only have a small moment to live up to our responsibilities and to make our dreams come true. These things are possible with discipline and perseverance. Yes, it takes faith in God and faith in ourselves, but it also takes knowing when to consider how full the glass may be or when to just throw the whole thing out and forget about it.

What's your outlook on life? 
Do you consider all the negatives or jump in head first?

2 comments:

DMS said...

I am glad you are getting to appreciate things more and conquer some of your fears. :) I tend to look at the glass as half full. Sometimes I look at it the other way, but I try to appreciate each day and do something each day that makes me happy. It isn't always easy, but it is always worth it. :)

Best of luck with the new perspective!
~Jess

DanielleThorne said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I admire your attitude and perspective. A positive attitude is contagious and makes for a much better day no matter the outcome. :)