January 9, 2014

Favs: How to Drink Your Vegetables

I once told my husband, referred to as "Mr. T." on Facebook, that purchasing a woman any kind of appliance or tool as a gift was unpardonable. If it came with a plug, it better not be for homemaking. He caught on. I never received a flashlight like his poor mother did one year.  However, this past Christmas when I opened my gift I finally understood why he'd been so anxious over the holidays. It was a kitchen appliance... with a plug. Cue music:



In all seriousness, my new favorite kitchen tool is my Vitamixer, the one thing I never knew I wanted. I've been dying to write up a Favorites post to share info on this super amazing gadget. I'd heard of Vitamixers along with Ninjas and other super blenders that turn a carrot into a cup of juice in a matter of seconds. It sounded a little too good to be true, and I was happy enough with my mom's 1965 Oster blender that still worked fine and looked great. However, the one problem that came from not having a super blender was chunky smoothies, so tossing vegetables and other random things into a recipe that didn't blend well didn't work for me. I couldn't blend up vegetables I didn't like enough to eat or drink them. And the texture? Yuck!


Boy, have things changed. I've been in heaven the past few weeks. The Vitamixer is not just a blender, but a high powered juicer and chopper. It's a perfect fit for anyone like me who lives on smoothies and soups. This amazing gadget actually heats soups while it's blending, so raw vegetables go in and smooth soups pour out-- in under 6 minutes. It even makes cocoa, teas and syrups. The smoothie cycle turns fruits and vegetables of any kind, including unpeeled or pithy, into delicious smoothie drinks with a handful of ice. There's a sorbet cycle. There's even a quick cleaning cycle. Who knew? I'm absolutely astounded at the variety of ingredients you can use that blend so well there isn't any veggie taste at all. Just this morning I had my first green smoothie, and I liked it!

If you're looking for a way to eat healthier and incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet, this blender may just be for you. It's fast. It's easy. It doesn't come cheap, so buying a refurbished model is a great solution. I've had no problems (All my Dysons are reconditioned items, too.), and the warranty is worthwhile. This is not a toy, it's an investment.

You can find recipes and testimonials for the Vitamixer all over the web, and add today's Favs post at The Balanced Writer to the mix. Eat or drink your fruits and vegetables, and feed them to your family without them ever having a clue. I'm looking forward to an even healthier year than last year and a more balanced diet. You can, too!

Stay balanced,
~Danielle Thorne
www.daniellethorne.com


Disclaimer: This is in no way a paid or endorsed advertisement. I'm just rambling on about a few of my favorite things. Check out my other Favs posts through the years!






No comments: