June 26, 2014

How an Author Does It

 Making Time to Write Amongst Life


Guest Author: Mary Ball
As an author, I daydream about a fictional world. It's one where I go into my designated office slash singing room and spend hours of uninterrupted time typing the perfect suspense scene. Then I awake, and everyday life steals away my imagination. 

Time has demands for all of us, but amidst our daily activates, a writer carves a few hours to create stories. Some writers have conditioned themselves to treat their scribing just as any other career. I read years ago, that Nora Roberts goes into her office and works on her manuscripts eight hours a day. I have to wonder how she put that plan in action.

 Many years ago, I gave up corporate America to become a stay-at-home grandmother. That is when I developed a desire to write. I suppose staying at home with a baby can do that to a person. *chuckle*
Since then, another grandchild came along, and Nana continued her career babysitting. Scribing for me began with non-fiction Christian articles, and later fiction. 

I have a seven-year-old grandson I watch around the school schedule. In addition, I'm a part-time care-giver for my mother and stepfather ( with beginning stages of Alzheimer's & Dementia) who live next door. Add to the mix, church responsibilities of an assistant pastor's wife and singing at retirement centers.  Yes, life goes on, and I thank the Lord for my days. God is a wonderful guide, if we follow His path. 

Every author is different, and we all need to find ways to make our schedules work.
I'm a morning person, early in day before the rest of the world wakes is my favorite time to scribe, then it's off to help the parents, do a bit of cooking, chores, and back to writing before the grandkids and hubby gets home.   
       
http://www.amazon.com/Mary-L.-Ball/e/B007O97Y0E/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1/192-2517852-7109947
Often, my hectic calendar allows me to glimpse an idea for my next novel. That's what happened with latest book. I walked by the table and noticed my oldest grandson reading a young adult fantasy fiction. The wheels of my imagination began to turn as I thought, I need to write a story about the miraculous relationship we can have with the Lord and how God uses different things to strengthen our faith. 

Months later, Stone of Destiny was born. It centers on a sapphire ring that has been in the Harrison family for decades. I choose a sapphire stone because it's my birthstone. For me, it's important to bring God's light into my writing, so I found myself second-guessing the plot, while hoping the Lord is satisfied with the story.  

During one of the edits, my publisher asked me if I had looked up the Christian meaning for Sapphire. I was astounded when I read that the sapphire means divine guidance, mental clarity, faithfulness, and truth. I sighed at the realization that the Lord is in control.  Unbeknownst to me, the meaning of the stone was exactly the message I was trying to convey.              

~Mary Ball 


Bio

Mary L. Ball is a published author of Inspirational fiction, blended with romance.  She lives in North Carolina and weaves together stories to encourage people to see the wonder of love and a divine guidance.


When she’s not working on her latest story, she enjoys fishing, reading, and singing with her husband at church and other places.


Readers can connect with her on Face Book and Twitter.


Her books are available at Amazon.



           

No comments: