November 27, 2017

The Poldark Predicament


"Yes, it’s true. I’m no longer in literary love with Ross Poldark."

The Poldark Predicament

$9.99 on Kindle
Boy, I have found myself in a Poldark pickle these last few weeks. I loved the first season of this original story about a swarthy aristocrat trying to survive in the drowning mining industry of England’s Cornwall. The soundtrack, luscious landscape, and tormented cast of characters can be riveting, but as episode after episode passes, I find myself frustrated and sometimes disgusted with Captain Poldark.

Yes, it’s true. I’m no longer in literary love with Ross Poldark. *Gasp!* I mean, it’s great he served his country, and yes, he had the courage to defy expectations and marry a housemaid, but, oh, the apathy! 

How does a man who thinks of nothing but doing the right thing cheat on his wife? How does a soldier who is not afraid to fight back down from slimy politicians? Last, for heaven’s sake, when are those mines going to start producing something so the whole county doesn’t starve to death? 

Poor Ross. He just seems to have one moral predicament after another. The problem is he doesn’t make a whole lot of effort to deal with any of them. To be specific, the sour taste in my mouth is not from his challenges, but his repetitive failure to rise up and do what’s right. 

Heroes are supposed to be good guys. Give them a weakness, sure, but don’t make them patsies. Seriously, how tempting is an avaricious, selfish, childhood sweetheart who continually betrays you? Why does a man who had the courage to lead and fight in a war refuse to accept any kind of civic responsibility? Who really has no problem with their wife running after younger men? For me, it just doesn’t add up.

Don’t get me wrong, this third season of the hit BBC series kept me engaged. The secondary characters themselves are charming, shocking, or downright hilarious. Some questions from the previous season were answered, but few of the heart-wrenching loose ends were tied up. At this point, it seems there is going to be very little happiness for the people of Cornwall. It’d help if Captain Poldark got off his duff.  

For me, Poldark III ended without a bang. I just didn’t enjoy my Sunday evenings with the hero of the hour. Instead, I finished each episode feeling frustrated and depressed. Short of stopping the villagers from attacking a grain store, there has still been no redemption for the Captain this time around. His ex is still a flake, his arch enemy still devious and pathetic, and his friends are still struggling to survive or to love (but at least they’re interesting to watch).

Here’s hoping next season will find some good, old-fashioned gumption in our favorite character’s character. Elsewise, I’m going to have to drop out of the Poldark fan club and re-watch some Sherlock or something. Sheesh, ya’ll! 

Stay balanced,
~Danielle Thorne~
www.daniellethorne.com

No comments: