October 14, 2020

 

“The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn’t real. I know that, and I also know that if I’m careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle.”
  - Stephen King, Night Shift

Hey Ya'll,

Don't we sometimes find safety in the most ridiculous of things? We find pleasure, too. October is my favorite month of the year. For me, it brings back poignant snapshots of trick-or-treating with my brothers and sister (and trading candy later), of braving haunted houses with teenage friends (One time we took a foreign exchange student and frightened him nearly to death!), and as a young mom dressing up my kids in costumes I thought were adorable (and they bore with patience). Several years ago, we had the opportunity to participate in our neighbors' Halloween haunt, complete with life-size pirate ships. Those memories are near and dear to my heart.
 
As autumn leaves color and crumple, smoke tendrils wisp out of chimneys, and v-lines of geese flood the sky with honking echoes, I remember how much I love to live and that there's joy in the journey in-between the hard stuff. I hope you have a marvelous fall and a happy Halloween!
From the Writing Desk
Did you know less than 10% of Georgians owned plantations before the Civil War? And also owned close to half of the land in the state. This elite stood in positions of power including serving in the state legislature that seceded from the Union. This month I've returned to edits on my civil war novella, Georgia Bride. I find myself delving into the details and looking deeper into the hearts of these characters struggling to survive. I hope it gives fresh insight into the lives of the many who scratched out a living on farms and quickly lost their sense of patriotism when they realized what the Civil War was truly about—and its cost.
 
In other news, my football contemporary romance has been completely rewritten and is set to publish next summer. FYI, Harlequin ultimately decided to pass on it for their Love Inspired line as it's a little too sporty for the genre, so it will be released through KDP in the months to come.

Last but never least: pirates! Oh, yes! My next historical romance set for 2021 returns to the West Indies and the swashbuckling seas. I've just wrapped up the purchase of the book cover and can't wait to show it off around the beginning of the year.
 
Get More Books
Discover these new releases or books on sale!

Ta-Ta for Now

Thanks for reading my October newsletter, following me on social media, and buying, reading, and reviewing my books. See you around Facebook or Instagram soon!

Warmly,
Danielle Thorne

No comments: